We Need an International Driver’s License for Japan

Since we’re going to drive in Japan, I’m thinking we’re going to need some special documents first (since the driving experience is inversed…). I did some quick research on how to get an international driving permit in Japan, and it’s not that difficult. Basically, if you’re from either Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, New Zealand, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland or the United Kingdom, you can pick up a driver’s license without taking an exam. You just need to show up to the local license center, show a translated copy of your current driver’s license, prove that you lived in your own country for over 3 months and take an eye test (source).

Thundergod and Hinjew are considering getting one of those CAA International Driver’s Licenses here in Montreal. If I’m not mistaken, it goes for 20$ a pop. Since it’s so cheap, I will be getting one too sometime this week in case it eases the process of driving in Japan.

Leave a comment

Your comment